Guided tours in Josefin synagogue
Synagogue of Iosefin
The religious service of the Orthodox community, established in 1871, took place for 23 years in a rented space. In 1894, the community purchased a plot of land in the Iosefin neighborhood, on which the synagogue was built in 1895, according to the plans of the architect Karl Hart. Built in an eclectic style, with Moorish, neo-Romanesque and neo-Gothic ornaments, the synagogue is modest in size compared to the other two large synagogues of Timisoara. If initially the edifice was provided with a single dome, in 1910 expansion works were undertaken and the synagogue acquired its current appearance, by partially raising the central nave, accompanied by two bulbous domes guarding the tables of the law. With a compact and well-balanced volume, it develops more in width than in height, with a low ground floor and a high floor. Access to the temple was through the courtyard, where a heder (kindergarten), a mikveh (ritual bath) and a ritual slaughterhouse functioned. The general, understated appearance corresponded to the view of Orthodox Jews who were more traditionalist and sober than the Neologians. In 2017, a severe storm tore off much of the metal roof cladding and one of the domes. Through a remarkable effort, the damage was repaired and the temple became functional again in the spring of 2018, currently being the only place of worship for the entire community.